800.756.1091 Book an appointment
in Newport Beach
Book an appointment
in Riverside

HMA Law Group | Newport Beach | Riverside | Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Legal Separation

Dissolution of Marriage v. Legal Separation

When you are considering a Divorce, one of the decisions that you will be required to make is whether you petition for Legal Separation or Dissolution of Marriage.

Some Similarities

There are a lot of similarities between the two. However, a judgment of legal separation will not end your marriage. You cannot remarry after getting a Legal Separation decree.

Read more . . .

Sunday, September 5, 2010

The suitability of Qualified Personal Residence Trusts

A qualified personal residence trust (QPRT) is an irrevocable grantor trust where the Trustor (or Grantor) gifts a personal residence to the trust, reserving the right to use the personal residence for a term of years. While the transfer of the residence to the trust incurs gift tax (which can be offset by the Trustor's gift tax exemption), the gift is discounted from fair market value of the residence by the Trustor maintaining an interest in occupying the property for a specified term of years.

At the end of this specified term of years the property passes to the beneficiaries of the trust (typically the Trustor's children or grandchildren), who may rent back the property to the Trustor, allowing the Trustor to further lower the value of his taxable estate.

The benefits of the QPRT are that it "freezes" the value of the gifted property for estate tax purposes. Therefore if a Trustor expects to survive 20 years and expects the value of his personal residence to double during that period, a QPRT will allow him to count only the current value of the personal residence (at the time of QPRT formation) in his taxable estate, even if his property appreciates sharply over time.
Read more . . .

© 2021 HMA Law Group | Disclaimer
620 Newport Center Drive, Suite 1100, Newport Beach, CA 92660
| Phone: (800) 756-1091
7155 Magnolia Avenue, Suite 200, Riverside, CA 92504
| Phone: (800) 756-1091

Forms | Family Law | Trusts & Estates Law | ABOUT HMA

FacebookGoogle+TwitterLinked-In PersonalLinked-In CompanyYouTubeBlog RSS

Attorney Website Design by
Amicus Creative